The National Association of Government Communicators (NAGC) is a national not-for-profit professional network of federal, state and local government employees who disseminate information within and outside government. Its members are editors, writers, graphic artists, video professionals, broadcasters, photographers, information specialists and agency spokespersons.
Mission of NAGC
NAGC is dedicated to providing opportunities for professional advancement, enhancing effective communications with constituents and advancing the profession.
Purpose of NAGC
The principal purpose of the National Association of Government Communicators is the advancement of communications as an essential professional resource at every level of national, state and local government. To achieve this purpose, the association, among other things, seeks to:
- unite those engaged in creating and disseminating information concerning government.
- establish and promote high standards of individual professionalism and public service.
- develop among government leaders and managers, business, professional, and other groups, and the public awareness and understanding of the potentials, purposes, and functions of professional communicators in fulfilling the public's right and need to be informed about government activities at every level. Basic to this concept is support of the professional communicator as an integral part of the decision and policymaking process.
- establish, promote and sponsor opportunities for exchange of ideas and experiences through public meetings, exhibitions, training, workshops, and formal courses of instruction.
- improve communication within government and between government and the public.
- sponsor awards recognizing achievement in improving professionalism among government communicators and in furthering the public's knowledge of government.